FENTON NORMAL SCHOOL 1861
RIDLEY HALL for girls was built in 1875 on one and one-half acres of land on
Thurber Street, between First and Second Streets. It was an Episcopal
institution. The school was short lived, but in 1884, another school of higher
learning, known as the FENTON NORMAL SCHOOL occupied the building. The structure
was demolished in the late 1920's.
The first school house was built in 1838, just four years after the founding of
Fentonville, and was located on the southwest corner of Rockwell and Park
streets. The building was a wooden structure and the first teacher was Mr.
While not part of the public schools of Fenton, it is interesting to note that
during the 1870's, there were three institutions of higher learning located in
THE FENTON SEMINARY was built in 1869. It was four stories high and made of
field stone. David Latourette, a local banker and businessman donated the site
and a large part of the construction costs. This was a Baptist institution and a
branch of Kalamazoo College. The original building still stands at the corner of
High Street and State Road. Mr. Wedge was the first principal.